Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nighttime rambles

I'm sitting in bed at 1am, wondering why I can't fall asleep. It might be the cough that refuses to go away, it might be the cold medicine I'm currently taking (despite their advertising it as "nighttime" medicine), or it might be the thoughts rumbling through my head. Tossing and turning isn't helping, each new position seems to create more problems than it solves. My throat continues to feel like I stuffed a bunch of cotton balls down it and the cough keeps resounding through the air.

My husband is sleeping soundly next to me (how he stays asleep through my walrus-like coughs, I have no idea), slowly "borrowing" more and more of my bed space and covers. Being in the tiny, one-bedroom studio apartment, I don't have many options for occupying my sleepless mind.

So I powered my iPhone on, turned down the brightness (so I don't disturb the aforementioned sleeping husband) and started surfing for good reading material. What I settled upon was not really uplifting nor sleep inspiring. Now I'm even more restless as I think of past failings (mine as well as others), lost friendships and things in life that I still don't understand.

I'm choosing to turn to God for comfort tonight. Thankful for His forgiveness, praying for wisdom on how to move forward from here. Thankful for the rain which just started falling and will certainly aide in my falling sleep.

Here's hoping a few hours of rest are possible tonight! Now if this cat would just settle down....

No comments:

Post a Comment