Monday, August 2, 2010

Sticky Note #9

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
yet he opened not his mouth;
like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,
so he opened not his mouth."

When was the last time you read the above passage?

To any person who has grown up in the church, memorizing scripture, I'm sure they can quickly quote what book this comes from, who it is talking about, context, etc.

But if you didn't KNOW the reference and context, who would you say this is speaking about? Where would you expect this verse to be located?

The above questions were asked and presented by a commentator on "The Case for Christ" video (The story of how Lee Strobel (author of the book "The Case for Christ", "The Case for Faith" and others). I visited a new church today and class was spent watching this hour long video. The commentator said that he took this verse around to his co-workers and asked them those questions. He described the group of people as a mixture of Jews and Gentiles.

Their answer?

Everyone responded that there was no doubt this scripture was talking about Jesus and was located somewhere in the New Testament. It was too accurate a picture of Jesus to be found in the Old Testament.

Where is it really located? Isaiah 53: 7 - very much Old Testament

When it comes to detail-oriented, no one can match God. I'm so thankful I serve and worship the one and only God, Creator and Mastermind before the world and everything I see and know.

How could I not trust my King
The One who has formed me and shaped me
I will rejoice and will sing
For the One who has made me has saved me

(Isaiah 53: 7 - ESV and "So I Will Trust You" by Sovereign Grace Ministries)

No comments:

Post a Comment